Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Freeport in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Freeport National Bank

 

— (Freeport Sulphur Company Building) —

 
Freeport National Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, July 28, 2016
1. Freeport National Bank Marker
Inscription.  The Freeport Sulphur Company was instrumental in the founding and early development of the city of Freeport and the region. It was incorporated on July 12, 1912, and then organized the Freeport Townsite Company with the purpose of developing a city on the west bank of the Brazos River. The city was designed to be free of wharf and dock charges to facilitate the importation of goods and supplies into the town, especially to the sulphur mines at Bryan Mound, and to expedite the exportation of sulphur to national and international markets.

In 1913 the Freeport National Bank constructed a one-story edifice with a built-in vault on land acquired from the Freeport Townsite Company. In 1918 the Freeport Sulphur Company purchased adjoining property, erected a new two-story building and added a second floor to the bank structure.

The Freeport National Bank remained in business until 1955, when the Freeport Sulphur Company bought the property and maintained offices here until 1973. This Classical Revival structure with brick corbelling, a flat roof, multiple bays, and flat arched windows reflects popular commercial building trends
Freeport National Bank and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker
2. Freeport National Bank and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the early 20th century.
 
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9563.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceMan-Made Features. A significant historical date for this entry is July 12, 1912.
 
Location. 28° 56.975′ N, 95° 20.787′ W. Marker is in Freeport, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of West Park Avenue and West Broad Street, on the right when traveling south on West Park Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 226 W Park Ave, Freeport TX 77541, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Schuster Home (approx. 0.9 miles away); Schuster House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Velasco Methodist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site of Town of Old Velasco (approx. 1˝ miles away); Colonel Robert M. Coleman (approx. 1.8 miles away); Freeport Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 1.8 miles away); In Memory of those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice - World War I - World War II - Korean Conflict (approx. 1.9 miles away); Four Miles Southeast to the Original Town of Velasco (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Freeport.
 
Also see . . .
1. Freeport article in Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
2. Bryan Mound article in Handbook of Texas Online
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
. (Submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=96295

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 31, 2021