The Crossroads of America
— The Historic National Road in Ohio —
The Village of Vandalia was platted August 4, 1838 at the “Crossroads,” which was then the crossing point of two dirt trails. The founder, Mr. Benjamin Wilheim, a settler from Pennsylvania, laid out the village in 33 lots which included his own home and a small general store he built on the National Road as a stop for travelers heading west. During the early years, the village had a church, hotels, blacksmiths, a steam sawmill, meat markets and a carriage shop. The village began to attract travelers and entrepreneurs; on February 7, 1848 it was officially incorporated as the Village of Vandalia with William Wilheim as first mayor. By 1959, Vandalia was outgrowing its “village” status; its citizens voted for a council-manager form of government, effectively making the village into a municipal corporation. Vandalia prides itself as being located at “The Crossroads of America,” incorporating this motto as part of the City’s logo since becoming a Charter City of the State of Ohio on January 2, 1960.
Erected 2011 by The Historical Society of Vandalia-Butler.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists:
Location. 39° 53.436′ N, 84° 11.997′ W. Marker is in Vandalia, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of National Road (U.S. 40) and Dixie Highway (County Route 25), on the left when traveling west on National Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 West National Road, Vandalia OH 45377, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tadmor - Taylorsville (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Village of Tadmor / The National Road (approx. 1.9 miles away); Taylorsville (approx. 2.4 miles away); Joseph Calvin Paul Memorial Boulevard (approx. 2.9 miles away); St Paul Lutheran Church Dog Leg Road, Dayton (approx. 3.2 miles away); Phoneton (approx. 3˝ miles away); a different marker also named Phoneton (approx. 3.7 miles away); Englewood Dam (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vandalia.
Additional keywords. Old National Road, Dixie Highway
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 5, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.