Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Bonham in Fannin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fannin County

 
 
Fannin County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
1. Fannin County Marker
Inscription.  This area was first settled by Anglo - Americans who traveled up the Red River by steamboat in 1836. Fannin County was created in 1837, organized 1838, and named for James W. Fannin (1805-36), who was massacred with his soldiers at Goliad (March 27, 1836) after surrendering to the Mexican Army.

County officials first met at Jacob Black's cabin on the Red River. The county seat was moved in 1840 to Warren and in 1843 to Bois d' Arc, which was renamed in 1844 in honor of James Butler Bonham (1807-36), a hero of the siege of the Alamo.
 
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 8872.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsPolitical SubdivisionsWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
 
Location. 33° 34.67′ N, 96° 10.736′ W. Marker is in Bonham, Texas, in Fannin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and
Marker in front of Fannin County Courthouse (left of photo). image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
2. Marker in front of Fannin County Courthouse (left of photo).
West 5th Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Sam Rayburn Drive, Bonham TX 75418, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fannin County Courthouses (within shouting distance of this marker); Spanish-American War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); James Butler Bonham (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Wesley Hardin (about 600 feet away); Bonham Daily Favorite (about 600 feet away); Bailey Inglish (approx. 0.6 miles away); Arledge Ridge Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Ector Lodge No. 687, A. F. & A. M. (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bonham.
 
More about this marker. The plaque on the pink granite was replaced in 1975.

The marker was originally located in 1936 at a roadside park on State Highway 56 near County Road 3011, two miles miles east of downtown Bonham. The Texas Department of Transportation removed the roadside park (now used as a utility lot), and the marker was relocated to the courthouse grounds as part of the 2015 restoration project.
 
Also see . . .  Texas State Historical Association article on Fannin County. (Submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Fannin County 1936 Pink Granite Centennial Marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
3. Fannin County 1936 Pink Granite Centennial Marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 500 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement
May. 31, 2020