St. Mary's City in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The First State House of Maryland
This marker was placed by Major William Thomas Chapter, D.A.R., St. Mary’s City, October 2, 1926. Mrs. John G. H. Lilburn, Regent.
Erected 1926 by the Major William Thomas Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Buildings Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), and the Maryland, Saint Mary's City series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is March 27, 1634.
Location. 38° 11.244′ N, 76° 26.144′ W. Marker is in St. Mary's City, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Trinity Church Road near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5). It is at the Trinity Episcopal Church cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47477 Trinity Church Road, Saint Marys City MD 20686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Entrance to First State House of Maryland (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Entrance to First State House of Maryland (a few steps from this marker); Here Lyeth The Body (a few steps John Llewellyn (a few steps from this marker); Leonard Calvert (within shouting distance of this marker); The Landing of the Ark and the Dove (within shouting distance of this marker); Laura Maryland Carpenter Blinn (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Church, St. Mary’s Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Allen Senior (within shouting distance of this marker); The St. Mary’s Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Mary's City.
Regarding The First State House of Maryland. The bricks from the original State House were used to build the church seen in
Also see . . . The History of the Maryland State House. (Submitted on April 22, 2007.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,878 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot showing as many of the twelve stone markers as possible. • Can you help?