Commanding Officer’s Quarters
Fort Abraham Lincoln
In February 1874, a fire destroyed the original buildings and most of its furnishing. It was rebuilt during the summer of 1874 incorporating several features suggested by the Custers. The original home contained five fireplaces, a parlor, dining room, bedrooms kitchen, pantry and cellar. The second home included an expanded parlor with bay window, a dressing room off the main floor bedroom, a large porch and an addition to the rear of the house. Further information and exhibits on the Custer House can be found inside. Plans for this reconstructed second house were gathered from old records and correspondence, and an archeological survey of the foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 46° 45.971′ N, 100° 50.851′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civilian Conservation Corps Project (within shouting distance of this marker); Civilian Conservation Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); Slant Indian Village (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Powder Magazines (approx. 0.3 miles away); Laundress' Quarter: "Suds Row" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Schoolhouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Scouts (approx. 0.3 miles away); Barracks (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mandan.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Full clear photo of marker. • Can you help?