Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fulton in Itawamba County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Cedars

 
 
The Cedars Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 4, 2016
1. The Cedars Marker
Inscription.  Also known as the Cates-Gaither House, this one-story Greek Revival-style planters cottage was built in ca. 1859 by ship builder and merchant Pleasant Cates. The heavy framing includes original pegged joints. Named for the cedar trees on the original site, "The Cedars" was sold to William Gaither in 1901. The house was moved 110 feet west of its original location in 2012. One of the two antebellum houses in Fulton, The Cedars was designated a Mississippi Landmark in 2011.
 
Erected 2014 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 34° 16.389′ N, 88° 24.317′ W. Marker is in Fulton, Mississippi, in Itawamba County. Marker is on East Main Street, 0.1 miles east of South Rose Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map
The Cedars House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 4, 2016
2. The Cedars House
Originally 110 feet further to the left of present position.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 East Main Street, Fulton MS 38843, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Church Site (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Aeolian Grove (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vision - Perserverence - Success (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jimmie Lunceford (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fulton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fulton Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historical African~American Cemetery (approx. Ό mile away); Itawamba Community College (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fulton.
 
Also see . . .  Pleasant Cates and The Cedars: From The Settlers Magazine. (Submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=96773

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 5, 2022