The Anderson House
The Historic National Road in Ohio
The Federal-style house, with its later Greek Revival-style porch, had four chimneys and eight fireplaces. On the first floor, the two rooms on the front and back of the west side (on the left side of the front door) had an opening eight feet wide. With the doors open, they were used as a large dining room. The east side rooms had a separate entrance, and were used as a bar-room. The third floor was a large dormitory which had no heat. In the 1920’s the house was converted to a tourist house.
In its nearly 200 years, this building has served as a tavern. a farmhouse,
Erected 2015 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road series list.
Location. 39° 56.263′ N, 83° 24.535′ W. Marker is in Lafayette, Ohio, in Madison County. Marker is on Old Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1615 Cumberland Road, London OH 43140, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Red Brick Tavern (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Molly Caren Agricultural Center (approx. 2.1 miles away); Alder Cabin (approx. 3˝ miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); War Savings Stamps (approx. 4.1 miles away); First White Settlers of Madison County (approx. 4.1 miles away); Madison County World War Roll of Honor (approx. 4.1 miles away); Madison County Veterans’ War Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away).
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 345 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 17, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.