The Historic National Road in Ohio
The new “pike town” that resulted from the construction of the National Road or National Pike was named in honor of President Thomas Jefferson, the prefix West being added by later by the post office department.
West Jefferson was incorporated as a town in 1833 and with the construction of the National Road grew to about 300 inhabitants, five tayerns, a large horse barn used by the stagecoaches, a grocery store, a blacksmith shop and two water powered sawmills.
Merchants traveled the National Road by stagecoach which ran three to five daily coaches in each direction, connecting to eastern markets in Boston and New York City to purchase goods that were shipped by canal to Columbus and then westward by four and six horse teams pulling freight wagons. Situated on the Darby Plains, some of the most fertile farmland in Ohio, the region grew as a result of the National Road. Two slaughter houses were located nearby and furnished much of the dressed meats for the Columbus Market.
The building of the old Columbus and Xenia Railroad (later absorbed by the Pennsylvania system) about 1848 slowed the growth of commerce along the National Road.
Erected 2016 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road series list.
Location. 39° 56.699′ N, 83° 16.099′ W. Marker is in West Jefferson, Ohio, in Madison County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west. Marker is next to the Mayor's Office.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Hampton and Ludlow's Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); New Hampton Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jonathan Alder (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Glaciers Did It (approx. 3˝ miles away); Stories in the Sediments (approx. 3˝ miles away); Back to the Same Old Grind (approx. 3˝ miles away); A Valley Is Born (approx. 4.2 miles away); Big Darby Creek (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Jefferson.
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 18, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.