New Bedford in Bristol County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Nathan and Mary (Polly) Johnson House
21 Seventh Street
— Has been designated a National Historic Landmark —
This building possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America.
Nathan and Polly Johnson, prominent African American abolitionists, sheltered escaped slaves in this underground railroad "station." It was here in September 1838 that Frederick (Bailey) Douglass found freedom, a new name, and with his wife Anna, his first home.
Erected 2000 by National Park Service - United States Department of the Interior.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
Location. 41° 37.982′ N, 70° 55.709′ W. Marker is in New Bedford, Massachusetts, in Bristol County. Marker is on Seventh Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21 Seventh Street, New Bedford MA 02740, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain Paul Cuffe's Atlantic World (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trading Places Lewis Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frederick Douglass (approx. 0.2 miles away); Whaleman’s Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Heroes of Fort Wagner (approx. ¼ mile away); Civil War’s First Black Regiment (approx. ¼ mile away); U.S. Custom House-Customary Duty (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Bedford.
Also see . . . Nathan and Mary Johnson Properties. NPS Aboard the Underground Railroad website entry (Submitted on August 21, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 408 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 21, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.