Ipswich Massachusetts Village Green Memorial
A few rods east of this spot were the dwelling and school house of Ezekiel Cheever first master of the Grammar School 1650-1661. In the east side of the common was the home of Rev. Nathaniel Ward 1634 Minister of Ipswich 1637 author of "The simple cobbler of Acgawam: compiler of the Body of Liberties The residence of Richard Salstonstall was on the south side of the common and that of Rev. Nathaniel Rogers pastor of Ipswich Church 1639-1655 was on the west side.
inscription: Here stood the first Meeting House of the 1747 South Parrish 1837 The expedition against Quebec, Benedict Arnold in command, Aaron Burr in the ranks, marched by this spot Sept. 17, 1775. Rev. William Hubbard Pastor of the Ipswich Church 1656-1704 Historian of the Indian Wars lived near the river about a hundred rods eastward. Erected by the Ipswich Historical Society 1896
Erected 1896 by Ipswich Historical Society.
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era
Location. 42° 40.602′ N, 70° 50.132′ W. Marker is in Ipswich, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Memorial is at the intersection of S. Main Street and S. Village Green, in the median on S. Main Street. Marker is located in the median at the intersection of S. Village Green and S. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ipswich MA 01938, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Agawam - Ipswich (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gen. James Appleton Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Revolution of 1689 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pillow Lace (approx. half a mile away); Ipswich Massachusetts War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Brig Falconer Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Masconomet Sagamore of the Agawams (approx. 3.2 miles away); John Wise House (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ipswich.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2016, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2016, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.