Eastman in Dodge County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1937 W.S. and Ethel Stuckey opened the first Pecan Shoppe at this location. That began the introduction of the pecan, Ethel's candy and the distinctive blue-roofed shoppe to the motoring public.
Today, a Stuckey's can be found in nearly every state of the Union and has become an important part of the lives of those who travel the highways of this great Country.
This spot has been dedicated to the memory of that first step forward by Mr. and Mrs. Stuckey and the many employees who have been a part of this heritage.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1937.
Location. 32° 11.001′ N, 83° 10.132′ W. Marker is in Eastman, Georgia, in Dodge County. Marker is on College Street (U.S. 341) Ό mile east of Dodge Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Located in front of the old Stuckey's Candy Factory, now the Standard Candy Company. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Candy Court, Eastman GA 31023, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Eastman School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jefferson DavisDodge County Confederate Monument (approx. 1.3 miles away); Dodge County (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Eastman-Bishop-Bullock House (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Blackshear Road (approx. 1.7 miles away); Orphans Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Normandale (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eastman.
Regarding Stuckey's. Also see Elizabeth McCants Drinnon's book, "Stuckey: The Biography of Williamson Sylvester Stuckey, 1909-1977" (Macon, Ga.: Mercer University Press, 1997).
Also see . . . Stuckey's. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on July 30, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Additional keywords. Travel
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,497 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on May 15, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.