Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Augusta ~ Fort Cornwallis / St. Paul's Episcopal Church

 
 
Fort Augusta ~ Fort Cornwallis / St. Paul's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2008
1. Fort Augusta ~ Fort Cornwallis / St. Paul's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  This site selected by fur traders Kennedy O`Brien and Roger de Lacy as a trading post to be nearer the Indians than Savannah Town, (in present Beech Island). To protect them and others, General Oglethorpe in 1735 built here Fort Augusta (so named after a royal Princess), maintaining a garrison until 1767. Here he met chiefs of the Chickasaws and Cherokees in 1739 to pacify them after a smallpox epidemic. In 1750, there was built the first St. Paul`s Church "under the curtain of the fort." In 1763, chiefs of the Cherokees, Creeks, Catawbas, Chickasaws and Choctaws met here with governors of Georgia, North and South Carolina and Virginia and the King`s representative and signed a treaty of peace. Again, in 1773, Cherokees and Creeks here ceded two million acres in North Georgia. During the Revolution, the British on this spot erected Fort Cornwallis, which was captured by the Americans by surprise September 14, 1780, but soon abandoned to the British. In May, 1781, an attack under General Andrew Pickens and Lieutenant Colonel " Light Horse Harry" Lee, and the use of a Mayham tower, forced surrender by the British Commander, Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Brown, capitulation taking place on June 5, 1781. In 1786 fortifications removed and a
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
new church built by the Trustees of Richmond Academy for use by all denominations. In 1818 site conveyed to Trustees of Episcopal Church, who constructed a new St. Paul`s Church, which was destroyed in the 1916 fire and replaced by the present structure.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-30.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraIndustry & CommerceNotable PlacesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1781.
 
Location. 33° 28.531′ N, 81° 57.658′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington St. (6th St,) and Reynolds Street, on the left when traveling north on Washington St. (6th St,). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S. Marshal Robert Forsyth (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington's Southern Tour (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel William Few, Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Major Ferdinand Phinizy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Five Indian Nations
Fort Augusta ~ Fort Cornwallis / St. Paul's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Fort Augusta ~ Fort Cornwallis / St. Paul's Episcopal Church Marker
(about 300 feet away); Fort Augusta (about 400 feet away); The Colonial Church of Augusta (about 400 feet away); Untitled (Georgia Railroad and Banking Company) (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Augusta & Fort Cornwallis. The site is marked by a monument in the form of a Celtic cross on the grounds of St. Paul's Church. The churchyard also was the site of Fort Cornwallis, an important British post of the American Revolution. (Submitted on January 21, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
St. Paul's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. St. Paul's Episcopal Church
St. Paul's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
4. St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Below this spot lies the Corner Stone of the Original Brick Church, laid Jan.27. 1819
Fort Augusta ~ Fort Cornwallis / St. Paul's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 31, 2010
5. Fort Augusta ~ Fort Cornwallis / St. Paul's Episcopal Church Marker
At the intersection of 6th and Reynolds Streets
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,804 times since then and 115 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   5. submitted on February 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9723

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2024