Near Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
11th Ohio Infantry
— Reynolds' Division —
Text on the front side of the monument:
14th. Army Corps.
Text on the back side of the monument:
This Regiment, Colonel Philander P. Lane commanding, from 3:00 P.M. till 6:00 P.M. of the 19th of September 1863, was engaged about 1000 yards east of the Rossville Road, near the Brock Field; about 4:30 P.M. it participated in a charge made by its Brigade, which resulted in a repulse of the enemy and the capture of some prisoners.
September 20th, occupied this position from 7:00 A.M. till 5:30 P.M. when ordered to retire to Rossville. It with the Brigade charged upon the enemy about 6:00 P.M. near McDonald's House, resulting in the capture of 250 prisoners.
Numbered engaged, Commissioned Officer's 20: Enlisted Men 413: Total 433. Loss, Killed 5: Wounded 36: Captured or Missing 22: Total 63.
Erected 1894 by State of Ohio. (Marker Number MT-959.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil
Location. 34° 55.586′ N, 85° 15.414′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is on Battleline Road south of Alexanders Bridge Road, on the right when traveling south. This monument is located in the national park that preserves the site of the Chickamauga Battlefield, The monument is located about two thirds of the way through the long line of mostly Union monuments, markers, and tablets that are situated along the length of the park's Battleline Road. According to the location information provided by the National Park Service the, “Monument is located within the Chickamaug Battlefield along Battleline Road, map site #122”. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reynolds' Division (here, next to this marker); 23rd Kentucky Infantry (USA) (within shouting distance of this marker); 74th Indiana Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 6th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Hazen's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); 92nd Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 41st Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 9th Indiana Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “6'8" x 6'8" x 14'. Rock-faced octagonal base supports octagonal pedestal with bronze state seal. Cylindrical shaft has raised letter inscription & is topped by rounded capstone carved with leaves & a large carved acorn.”
The National Park Service also identifies C. H. Niehaus as being the sculptor of this monument and the Vermont Granite Company of Barre, Vermont as being the Architect.
I used the "Chickamauga Battlefield" map, that I purchased at the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Visitor Center, to determine both the marker number for this monument and the monument's location in relation to the rest of the park's monuments, markers, and tablets. According to the map it provides the, "numerical listing of all monuments, markers, and tablets on the Chickamauga Battlefield (using the Chick-Chatt NMP Monument Numbering System).”
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on April 1, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on September 3, 2016, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 12, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7, 8. submitted on August 13, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.