Archer in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
David Levy Yulee and Cotton Wood Plantation
David Levy Yulee was born at St. Thomas, West Indies, in 1810. He attended school in Virginia from 1819 until 1827 when he went to Micanopy to work on one of the plantations of his father, Moses Elias Levy. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1836. His time was divided between the practice of law and agriculture.
Yulee was elected to the Florida Territorial Council in 1836 and was a delegate to the Florida Constitutional Convention at St. Joseph in 1838. He was a delegate to Congress from the Territory of Florida from 1841-45 and spearheaded the drive for statehood. In 1845, he was chosen as the first U.S. Senator from Florida and was the first Jew, in the United States, to be elected to the U.S. Senate. Defeated for reelection in 1851, Yulee was again elected to the Senate in 1855. In the Senate he served as chairman of the committees on naval affairs and on post offices and post roads. Yulee served in the U.S. Senate until he resigned upon the secession of Florida in 1861.
While serving as territorial delegate, Yulee obtained a railroad survey of Florida and was one of the first railroad
Long an advocate of the Southern movement and secession, Yulee supported Florida's entry into the Confederacy. However, he chose not to pursue elective office and devoted time to his plantations and his railroad. He was at odds with Confederate authorities who wanted to use materials from his railroad for more vital lines.
Cotton Wood Plantation, located about one mile northeast of this site, was the home of Yulee during the War Between the States. Upon the fall of the Confederacy, personal baggage of President Jefferson Davis and part of the Confederate treasury, reached Cotton Wood, under armed guard, on May 22, 1865. Following the war, Yulee was imprisoned at Ft. Pulaski, at Savannah, until Gen. U.S. Grant intervened for his release in March of 1866.
Yulee sold his holdings in Florida and moved to Washington, D.C. in 1880. He died in 1886 and was buried at New York Avenue Presbyterian Church in Washington, D.C. Originally known as David Levy, he had his name changed by an act of the Florida Legislature in 1845.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant series list.
Location. 29° 31.871′ N, 82° 31.368′ W. Marker is in Archer, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is at the intersection of SW 134th Avenue and SW 170th St, on the right when traveling west on SW 134th Avenue. Marker located on the grounds of Archer Depot which now serves as the home of the Archer Historical Society Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16994 SW 134th Ave, Archer FL 32618, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Archer (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bethlehem Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Archer Veterans (approx. 0.3 miles away); Archer School Gymnasium (approx. 0.3 miles away); Thomas Gilbert Pearson (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Wilson Robinson Memorial Pavilion (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal CemeterySt. Peter Cemetery of Archer (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Archer.
More about this marker. The Archer Depot was built between 1893 and 1900 replacing the original railroad depot built in 1856 by the Florida Railroad Company.
Also see . . . Archer Historical Society. (Submitted on September 7, 2016.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2017. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2016, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 817 times since then and 202 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2016, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.