Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Joseph's Hospital
They arrived in Paris in August, and began refurbishing the 2-story, 16-room frame infirmary on this site. The building had been converted about 1908 from St. Patrick's Academy (established in 1898), but was later abandoned.
The Sisters' first patient was admitted on October 1, 1911. Within three years Bishop Lynch dedicated a new 4-story brick infirmary here. When much of Paris was consumed by fire on March 21, 1916, St. Joseph's survived with its own power and light plant. Doctors' offices and school classes were welcomed in the infirmary.
World War II ended the Depression and brought an army camp to Paris, with St. Joseph's serving the military and dependents who arrived. The 1914 building and hospital services were expanded during and after the war, directly supporting the economic growth of Paris.
In 1963 a campaign
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8223.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Places • Science & Medicine. A significant historical date for this entry is March 21, 1916.
Location. 33° 39.61′ N, 95° 32.85′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of Clarksville Street (Business U.S. 82) and 8th Street SE on Clarksville Street. Located in front of the Paris Regional Medical Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 820 Clarksville Street, Paris TX 75460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McCuistion Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church of Paris (approx. 0.4 miles away); Paris Public Schools (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robert Cooke Buckner (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Paris (approx. 0.4 miles away); Central Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Church of the Holy Cross, Episcopal (approx. 0.4 miles away); Paris Fire Department (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 564 times since then and 205 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.