Jericho in Chittenden County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Named for Thomas Chittenden, first governor of Vermont and great-great grandfather of Frank Howe. Frank and his father Lucian rebuilt this mill in 1885 changing from grinding with millstones to the new gradual reduction roller process. Grain was shipped in on the B&L Railroad from the mid-west and the flour sold over a wide area of northern Vermont. The four Tyler turbines were powered by the Brown's River. The miller's house was built in 1859. Until 1929 a Towne Lattice Truss covered bridge spanned the gorge on the site of the present footbridge.
Erected 1997 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 44° 30.255′ N, 72° 59.952′ W. Marker is in Jericho, Vermont, in Chittenden County. Marker is at the intersection of Vermont Route 15 and Red Mill Drive, on the right when traveling west on State Route 15. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jericho VT 05465, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least "Snowflake" Bentley (approx. 2.7 miles away); District No. 5 Schoolhouse (approx. 5.1 miles away); There's Only One Essex Junction (approx. 5½ miles away); Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Ethan Allen (approx. 7 miles away); The Round Church / Richmond, Vermont (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Citizens of Richmond (approx. 7.3 miles away); Richmond's Fallen Son (approx. 7.3 miles away); A Tribute to the Cochran Family of Richmond, VT (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 13, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.