Middle Village in Emmet County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Built in 1889...
The church below is the third to stand in the vicinity of the first Jesuit mission in 1741. It was rebuilt by the Indians in 1825
For many years this sign stood on the edge of the bluff on M-119 above St. Ignatius on property owned by the John Hannah family but graciously shared with the public as a scenic overlook. It was one of several originally done by the Harbor Springs Chamber of Commerce to mark points of interest including Devils Elbow, Horseshoe Bend, the Old Council Tree and Larbor Croche
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Native Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 45° 33.111′ N, 85° 6.931′ W. Marker is in Middle Village, Michigan, in Emmet County. Marker is on Lamkin Road, 1.2 miles south of Michigan Highway 119, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North Lamkin Road, Harbor Springs MI 49740, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this markerSt. Ignatius Mission (a few steps from this marker); St. Ignatius of Loyola Church and Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Middle Village (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Area Of The Old Council Tree (approx. 5.1 miles away); L'Arbre Croche (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Legs Inn (approx. 7.3 miles away); Light Houses of Grays Reef Passage (approx. 7.3 miles away); The History of Redpath Memorial Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middle Village.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . St. Ignatius Church in Middle Village MI. (Submitted on September 14, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 14, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.