Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Newark Academy

 
 
Newark Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, July 29, 2008
1. Newark Academy Marker
Inscription.  Founded at New London, Pennsylvania, in 1741 by Rev. Dr. Francis Alison, removed in 1752 to Cecil County, Md., and in 1767 to Newark. Chartered by Thomas and Richard Penn 1769. Closed from 1777 to 1780 on account of Revolutionary War. Merged with Newark College (now University of Delaware) 1834. Separated from college 1869 and continued as independent academy until 1989. Many famous men were educated in this school.
 
Erected 1933 by Historic Markers Commission. (Marker Number NC-35.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraEducationWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1741.
 
Location. 39° 40.993′ N, 75° 44.953′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of Academy Street and E. Main Street, on the right when traveling north on Academy Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19711, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Albert Gallatin Lewis
Newark Academy image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, July 29, 2008
2. Newark Academy
Building is occupied as Office of Communications & Marketing of University of Delaware.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Newark United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oriental Lodge #12, I.O.O.F. (about 400 feet away); Hiram Lodge No. 25 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elliott Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Abram Harter (1853-1943) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Of Rural New Castle County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,163 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9781

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2021