Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fredericksburg in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Sherwood Forest

 
 
Sherwood Forest Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 6, 2016
1. Sherwood Forest Marker
Inscription.  Sherwood Forest, also known as the Fitzhugh House, was built just northeast of here in the first half of the 19th century. During the Civil War, Union forces used the property as communications center and observation post most notably in April-May 1863. From here the aeronautical corps launched balloons to monitor Confederate movements south of the Rappahannock River. When the Union Army of the Potomac’s 1st Corps advanced across the Rappahannock on 29 April 1863 during the Chancellorsville Campaign. Sherwood Forest served as a staging ground, and the property became a hospital for wounded Union soldiers.
 
Erected 2013 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E-138.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 38° 15.753′ N, 77° 24.788′ 
Sherwood Forest Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 6, 2016
2. Sherwood Forest Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker was near Fredericksburg, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker was on Kings Highway (Virginia Route 3) 0 miles east of Sherwood Forest Farm Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22405, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Little Falls (approx. ¾ mile away); Fort Hood (approx. one mile away); The Gallant Pelham (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named The Gallant Pelham (approx. one mile away); The Battle of Fredericksburg (approx. one mile away); Stuart and Pelham (approx. one mile away); Duff McDuff Green Memorial Park (approx. 1.3 miles away); Colonial Fort (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
Also see . . .  A Visit to Sherwood Forest, 2013. This web page has photographs of the house and grounds. (Submitted on September 14, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 970 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 14, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=97812

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 4, 2022