Near Vandalia in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Village of Tadmor / The National Road
The Village of Tadmor
The Village of Tadmor is significant as being the location of one of the most important centers of transportation in early Ohio history. As early as 1809, keelboats were poled up river from Dayton to load and unload freight in the village. By 1837, the Miami and Erie Canal had reached Tadmor, connecting it to the Ohio River in the south and Lake Erie in the north. In the 1830s, the National Road was constructed through Tadmor, connecting it to points east and west. In 1851, the Dayton & Michigan Railroad established freight and passenger service to the growing town. Residents hoped that Tadmor's strategic location would help it prosper, however, successive flooding on the Great Miami River stifled growth. Tadmor was finally abandoned when a dam constructed by the Miami Conservancy District in 1922 to retain water during flooding made the site uninhabitable.
The National Road
Authorized by Congress in 1806, the National Road was the nation's first federally funded interstate highway. National leaders desired an all-weather road across the Allegheny Mountains in order to develop closer political
Erected 2006 by Five Rivers Metroparks Ohio National Road Association The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10- 57.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road, and the The Miami & Erie Canal series lists.
Location. 39° 53.823′ N, 84° 9.913′ W. Marker is near Vandalia, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4697 E National Rd, Vandalia OH 45377, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tadmor - Taylorsville (approx. 1.4 miles away); Taylorsville (approx. 1.6 miles away); Phoneton (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Phoneton (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Crossroads of America (approx. 1.9 miles away); Joseph Calvin Paul Memorial Boulevard (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Old National Road (approx. 4.2 miles away); Miami and Erie Canal Lock 15 (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vandalia.
Additional keywords. Old National Road Miami- Erie Canal
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 465 times since then and 187 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 14, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.