— 311 East Lake Street —
The Montgomery Sisters occupied this tin-fronted building after they moved here in 1919 from their Petoskey Midway location. Gertrude and Mae Montgomery were widely known for their eclectic merchandise. They sold fancy goods and art pieces in this location for over forty years. In 1998 William and Marietta Shorter restored the building to its original character. J.W. Shorter and Son Mercantile opened as a specialty shop here in 1998.
National Register of Historic Places
Erected by Little Traverse Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Women. In addition, it is included in the Michigan - Little Traverse Regional Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
Location. 45° 22.504′ N, 84° 57.403′ W. Marker is in Petoskey, Michigan, in Emmet County. Marker is on Lake Street east of Petoskey Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 311 East Lake Street, Petoskey MI 49770, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
Also see . . .
1. Little Traverse Historical Society. (Submitted on September 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. J.W. Shorter & Son Mercantile. (Submitted on September 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 263 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.