Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Old Mission Point in Grand Traverse County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

A Light at Old Mission

 
 
A Light at Old Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 26, 2016
1. A Light at Old Mission Marker
Inscription.  
By the mid 1850's, shipping on Grand Traverse Bay had grown substantially. A Lighthouse on the northern tip of Old Mission Peninsula, to warn of the rocky point, was necessary. In 1859 Congress appropriated the funds, however the Light was not completed until 1870.

The first Light-keeper was Jerome M. Pratt, who kept a detailed journal of passing ships. On his first day he noted 5 vessels: 2 schooners, 2 steamers and one bark. An entry in 1875 listed 101 steamers and 75 sailing ships.

In 1876, Pratt was followed as keeper by J.W. Lane, Joseph Green and Emil C. Johnson. In 1933 the old lamp, which had burned kerosene, was replaced by automatic lights on the tower. Later the lights were mounted on an off-shore buoy. The Lighthouse has been owned by Old Mission Township since 1948.
 
Erected by Peninsula Township Park Board and NOAA.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 44° 59.462′ 

A Light at Old Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 26, 2016
2. A Light at Old Mission Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 85° 28.772′ W. Marker is in Old Mission Point, Michigan, in Grand Traverse County. Marker and Light Station are in Peninsula Township Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20500 Center Road, Traverse City MI 49686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Lighthouse Privy (within shouting distance of this marker); Hesler Log House (within shouting distance of this marker); Oil House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hessler Log Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Dougherty Mission House / Rushmore House and Inn (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Old Mission House (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Old Mission Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Because of the Water... (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Old Mission Point.
 
Also see . . .
1. Mission Point Lighthouse. Lighthouse homepage (Submitted on September 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.) 

2. Mission Point Lighthouse. Peninsula Township entry (Submitted on September 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Old Mission Point Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 26, 2016
3. Old Mission Point Lighthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 212 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=98186

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 21, 2022