Somerset County Court House Green
The First Reformed Church, constructed in 1897, is a free interpretation of an English Gothic church. It was designed by William Appleton Potter renowned for his architecture on the Princeton University Campus. The Lord Memorial Fountain, erected in 1910, was designed by John Russell Pope, designer of the Jefferson Memorial, and sculpted by John Boyde and Thomas Trolearen.
Erected 2016 by County of Somerset.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
Location. 40° 34.085′ N, 74° 36.652′ W. Marker is in Somerville, New Jersey, in Somerset County. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fourth New Jersey Infantry Appreciation to Somerville (a few steps from this marker); Somerset County 9/11 Memorial and Clock Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Somerset Hotel (about 300 feet away); Former Second National Bank (about 300 feet away); National Guard Armory (about 400 feet away); Former Public Library (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Somerville.
More about this marker. This historic marker is part of the Somerset County Historic Marker Program administered by the Somerset County Cultural and Heritage Commission.
Regarding Somerset County Court House Green. In addition to the Court House, First Reformed Church and Lord Memorial Fountain the Green also contains a M1 57mm anti-tank gun from World War II, a True Meridian marker from 1864, the County's 9-11 memorial and two plaques. The first recognizes Washington's route after the battle of Princeton, erected by the Daughters of the American Revolution. The second dedicated to the citizens of Somerville for their hospitality to the Fourth New Jersey infantry in 1917. It was erected by the American Legion in
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2016, by Thomas R. D'Amico of Somerville, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 28, 2016, by Thomas R. D'Amico of Somerville, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.