Wurtsboro in Sullivan County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Named for Maurice Wurts, president and one of the founders of Delaware and Hudson Canal. It was built to haul coal to Tidewater.
Erected 1936 by State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 41° 34.41′ N, 74° 29.014′ W. Marker is in Wurtsboro, New York, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Pennsylvania Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wurtsboro NY 12790, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Original Snubbing (here, next to this marker); Site of Yaugh House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dutch Reformed Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Michel Helm (approx. 2.6 miles away); Old Mine Road ~ D. and H. Canal (approx. 2.6 miles away); Corner Post of Inn Burned on Feb. 24, 1922 (approx. 2.6 miles away); Bloomingburgh (approx. 2.6 miles away); Rear-Admiral Silas Horton Stringham (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wurtsboro.
Also see . . . D&H Canal(Submitted on October 2, 2016, by Scott J. Payne of Deposit, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2016, by Scott J. Payne of Deposit, New York. This page has been viewed 354 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2016, by Scott J. Payne of Deposit, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.