Asheville in Buncombe County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Early Years In Asheville's Historic Central Square
In 1793, the county's first official courthouse, a jail and stocks were built at the west end of what is now Pack Square. The small log structure marked the county seat, later named Asheville, and was the first of six courthouses located on the square. Until the end of the Civil War, slave auctions were typically held on the courthouse steps.
Isolated by distance and difficult terrain, Asheville's population was sparse until the arrival of the Buncombe Turnpike in 1827. The road linked the village to eastern Tennessee and markets to the south, opening it to travelers, goods and immense livestock drives that passed through the square every autumn. Food, supplies and overnight accommodations were suddenly in great demand. By 1830, the population of Asheville had grown to 350.
The arrival of the first train in October 1880 marked a similar transformation. Travelers were no longer subject to arduous stagecoach journeys, and goods and
Many entrepreneurs arrived, including George Willis Pack and his wife, Frances, who came to Asheville from Ohio in 1884 and found a bustling community eager for growth. Pack became a community leader and philanthropist. He contributed to schools, parks, a library, a hospital and the 1898 Vance Monument, a memorial to North Carolina Governor and U.S. Senator Zebulon Baird Vance.
Local landmarks included the sixth Buncombe County Courthouse built in 1876 near the east end of the square. The three-story brick building had an opera hall on the third floor and was a far cry from the rustic courthouses of the early years. In 1901, Pack gave Buncombe County several acres of land on College Street for a new courthouse. The deed required the county to remove the old courthouse and forever dedicate the square as a public park. County officials complied and honored their benefactor by naming the park Pack Square on April 17, 1903.
George Willis Pack's dream of a beautiful city park in the heart of Asheville remained vital 100 years later when a citizens'
All Photographs courtesy of North Carolina Reference Desk Pack Memorial Library
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 35° 35.691′ N, 82° 33.087′ W. Marker is in Asheville, North Carolina, in Buncombe County. Marker is on South Pack Square (Alternate U.S. 74) east of Biltmore Avenue (U.S. 25), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 South Pack Square, Asheville NC 28801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walk Into History (a few steps from this marker); Zebulon Baird Vance (a few steps from this marker); Crossroads (a few steps from this marker); Robert E. Lee (a few steps from this marker); Monument Corner (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Past and Promise (about 300 feet away); Brick Artisan (about 300 feet away); Young Men’s Institute (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Asheville.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 3, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.