Banner Elk in Avery County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1993 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number N-43.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Women. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 36° 9.763′ N, 81° 52.486′ W. Marker is in Banner Elk, North Carolina, in Avery County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street West (State Highway 184/194) and Maple Court, on the right when traveling west on Main Street West. Marker may have been recently relocated from a block or so west of current location due to recent construction. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Banner Elk NC 28604, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shepherd M. Dugger (within shouting distance of this marker); Banner Elk (approx. half a mile away); Cranberry Iron Mine (approx. 5 miles away); Cranberry MinesValle Crucis Episcopal Mission (approx. 5.3 miles away); Asa Gray (approx. 5.6 miles away); Andre Michaux (approx. 5.6 miles away); Linn Cove Viaduct (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Banner Elk.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2016. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2016. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.