The Historic National Road in Ohio
The inscription on the monument reads:
Old National Road Built 1825, Rebuilt 1914 Through the efforts of James M. Cox Governor of Ohio
The demand for improved roads led the federal government, under the Taft and Wilson administrations, to devise a plan to help states finance the building of experimental paved roads. The national government put up $120,000, with Licking and Muskingum counties contributing
Erected 2010 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #27 William Howard Taft, the Former U.S. Presidents: #28 Woodrow Wilson, and the The Historic National Road series lists.
Location. 39° 56.909′ N, 82° 16.119′ W. Marker is in Thornville, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is on Old National Road (U.S. 40), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15051 National Road, Thornville OH 43076, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Eagle’s Nest (here, next to this marker); The Gilbert W. Dilley Museum at Flint Ridge (approx. 2.7 miles away); Flint Ridge (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Flint Ridge (approx. 2.8 miles away); Fairmount Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.2 miles away); Licking Township Fallen Firemen (approx. 7.8 miles away); Beard-Green Cemetery in the Dawes Arboretum (approx. 7.9 miles away); Dawes Arboretum Hedge (approx. 8 miles away).
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 8, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.