Market House Bell
The bell was purchased by the city from McShane & Co. of Baltimore in 1883. At 25 cents per pound, and weighing more than 2,500 pounds, it cost $640.50. A new belfry had to be built to hold the bell, and lighting rods were added. When the new City Hall building was constructed in 1888, the bell was moved there.
After it was removed from City Hall in the 1930s, the bell enjoyed a second life at the Burlington Fire Station in East Knoxville, where firemen struck it with a hammer to signal blackout drills during World War II. In the 1980s, the bell returned to Market Square, where it hung for a time in another market pavilion. It was refurbished in 2005 by McShane, the same Baltimore company that manufactured it.
Location. 35° 57.883′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Knoxville's Market House (here, next to this marker); Krutch Park (here, next to this marker); Catherine Wiley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Agee (about 300 feet away); David Madden (about 300 feet away); Knoxville's Old Custom House / Fiddlin' Bob Taylor (about 300 feet away); Cowan, McClung and Company Building / Fidelity Building (about 400 feet away); Gay Street (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Knoxville.
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Market House Bell.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 9, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.