Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Chillicothe in Hardeman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Medicine Mound Community

 
 
Medicine Mound Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, September 29, 2016
1. Medicine Mound Community Marker
Inscription.  Early inhabitants of this area were Comanche and Kiowa Indians whose campsites were situated around four dolomite hills called Medicine Mounds and known for their healing properties. In 1854, area land was deeded to a railway company. Anglo settlers began to arrive in the 1870s. A small village developed but was moved 2.5 miles north in 1908 when the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway was built. A townsite was platted that year and was fully established by 1911. At its peak, Medicine Mound boasted 22 businesses and a population of 500. Economic hardships, the Great Depression and a 1933 fire that burned the entire town were primary forces in the town's eventual demise. The last business closed in 1966.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11928.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 34° 11.235′ N, 99° 35.681′ W. Marker is near Chillicothe, Texas, in Hardeman County. Marker is on Route 91 Spur
Medicine Mound Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, September 29, 2016
2. Medicine Mound Community Marker
Marker is one of three (middle) next to the old store which now serves as the Medicine Mound Museum.
east of Farm to Market Road 1167, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Quanah TX 79252, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W. P. A. Sanitation Project (here, next to this marker); Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store (here, next to this marker); Old Mounds Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Texas Agricultural Experiment Station (approx. 4˝ miles away); Chillicothe First Methodist Church (approx. 6˝ miles away); Medicine Mound Depot (approx. 10 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Quanah (approx. 11.2 miles away); Hardeman County Courthouse (approx. 11.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chillicothe.
 
Also see . . .
1. Handbook of Texas article about Medicine Mound, TX. (Submitted on October 8, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
2. link to Facebook page for Medicine Mound Museum. (Submitted on October 8, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
 
Medicine Mound Community image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, September 29, 2016
3. Medicine Mound Community
Photo of old gas station in Medicine Mound.
Medicine Mounds image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, September 29, 2016
4. Medicine Mounds
Photo of the nearby Medicine Mounds from which the town took its name.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on October 10, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 8, 2016, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 19, 2021