Mann-Miller / Springfield
The Mann and Miller families, neighbors in Germany, together migrated to American and settled near this site circa 1774. First were friends John Miller and Jacob Mann. Families labored to build Cook's Fort, Indian Creek Church and town of Springfield. Both settlers and most family burials in the Tyler Mann and Miller-Halstead cemeteries.
Here in 1852, 1/4 acre lots were sold to form the community of Springfield, located on Great Road. Some forty families lived in the village, which included homes, stores, schools, churches, mill, tannery, brick yard, post office, and a resort hotel. Known as Hunters Springs, the town had virtually disappeared by the the middle of the twentieth century.
Erected 2009 by Greenville Ruritan Club.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list.
Location. 37° 31.805′ N, 80°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saltpeter Caves (approx. 1.4 miles away); Home of Isaac Estill / Block House on Indian Creek (approx. 1.7 miles away); Cook's Fort (approx. 2.1 miles away); Grave of Elizabeth Graham Stodghill (approx. 3.7 miles away); Dr. Henry Lake Dickason (approx. 5.3 miles away); Salt Sulphur (approx. 5.6 miles away); Red Sulphur Springs (approx. 6 miles away); Big Lime (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2016. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 14, 2016. 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 14, 2016, by Roger Miller of Pulaski, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.