Franklin in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1827 Elijah Bullock, one of the founders of the Stoughton Bullock Settlement (renamed Franklin in 1828), set aside land for a burial ground. This parcel, known as "the Old Plat," is in the southeast corner of the cemetery. The cemetery contains the remains of some of Franklin's earliest settlers. Of the fifteen original landowners, four are buried here: Melvin Drake, Hiram Pike, William Stoughton, and Jonathan Worthing.
Franklin Cemetery began as a one-acre burial ground in 1827. The first of six expansions occurred in 1848 when Benjamin and Charlotte Worthing donated an acre of farmland adjacent to the original cemetery. The Franklin Cemetery Society organized in 1852 to manage and maintain the burial ground. The cemetery displays typical nineteenth-century grave markers, including urns, obelisks, tree trunks, weeping willows, and benches.
Erected 2007 by Michigan Historical Commission-Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2063.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1827.
Location. 42° 31.343′ N, 83° 18.4′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of Scenic Drive and Franklin Road, on the right when traveling west on Scenic Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin MI 48025, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin Village School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kreger Farm Buildings (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert E. Cornillie's Vision (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin Village (approx. Ό mile away); Franklin Community Church (approx. Ό mile away); Van Every Gristmill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Congregation Beth El / Temple Beth El (approx. 1.2 miles away); St. Vincent and Sarah Fisher Center (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 15, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.