Friendswood in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Main Street Fig Orchards
This present day 900 block of S. FM 518 was the site of of a typical main street orchard. It was owned by Quakers Edie and Zue Stevenson Bales. The entire block back to the creek was the Bales and Glines family farm into the 1940s, and the whole family, including grandchildren helped with the orchard work.
Erected 2012 by Friendswood Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism ⛪ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 29° 31.376′ N, 95° 11.581′ W. Marker is in Friendswood, TexasTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 907 S Friendswood Dr, Friendswood TX 77546, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Fig Industry In Friendswood (approx. 0.2 miles away); Friends Church Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Friendswood (approx. half a mile away); Quaker Academy (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oldest Structure Remaining (approx. 0.6 miles away); Friendswood Postal Service (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Business (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cecil and Frances Brown House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Friendswood.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 18, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.