Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marlborough in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Marlborough

 
 
Marlborough Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
1. Marlborough Marker
Inscription.  
Marlborough
The colonial General Assembly in 1747 designated this area an ecclesiastical society and named it Marlborough. In 1803 the Connecticut General Assembly incorporated Marlborough as a "distinct town” deriving its lands from Colchester, Hebron and Glastonbury Sadler’s ordinary, believed to have been built about 1653 near Lake Terramuggus entertained travelers on the Path to Monhege between the Thames and Connecticut Rivers. The first schoolhouse here was built in 1760, a time when farms and saw mills flourished. Marlborough Tavern, still serving the public, opened its doors late in the colonial period. Local industry, chiefly in textiles, was spurred by the New London Turnpike during the nineteenth century, but vanished with the burning of the last mill in 1907. Therefore Marlborough is mainly a residential community. Mary Hall, of this town, an educator, became in 1882 the first woman lawyer to be admitted to practice at the bar of Connecticut.
Erected by the Town of Marlborough
the Marlborough Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1978

 
Erected
Marlborough Marker and Marlborough Town Hall image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
2. Marlborough Marker and Marlborough Town Hall
Click or scan to see
this page online
1978 by the Town of Marlborough, the Marlborough Historical Society, the Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 41° 37.943′ N, 72° 27.681′ W. Marker is in Marlborough, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Jones Hollow Road, on the right when traveling west on North Main Street. Located in front of Marlborough Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 26 North Main Street, Marlborough CT 06447, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marlborough Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Marlborough Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); East Hampton (approx. 4 miles away); Observation Post 52 (approx. 5.2 miles away); Missionary Society of Connecticut (approx. 5.3 miles away); Hebron (approx. 5.3 miles away); Comstock Covered Bridge (approx. 5˝ miles away); Colchester Vietnam Veterans Monument (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marlborough.
 
Also see . . .
1. Welcome to Marlborough, Connecticut. (Submitted on October 20, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Marlborough, Connecticut on Wikipedia
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
. (Submitted on October 20, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=98957

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2021