The Historic National Road in Ohio
The 9-room Headley Inn was built in 1802 and enlarged in 1833 with a two-story addition on its east side. The stone walls were constructed of huge blocks of dressed sandstone. The original building consisted of a large basement kitchen built into the slope of a hill plus three rooms opening onto a porch. After the National Road was built, Uzal Headley enlarged his house to accommodate the traveling public. He began to operate the inn and secured a tavern license in 1834. The date stone in the inn’s addition
Erected 2013 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road series list.
Location. 39° 57.191′ N, 82° 5.676′ W. Marker is near Zanesville, Ohio, in Muskingum County. Marker is on West Pike (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5345 West Pike, Zanesville OH 43701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smith House & Farm (here, next to this marker); Nelson T. Gant House (approx. 3.4 miles away); a different marker also named Nelson T. Gant House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Y-Bridge (approx. 4.3 miles away); Zane Grey (approx. 4.4 miles away); a Y-Bridge (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Y-Bridge (approx. 4.4 miles away); Muskingum County Medal of Honor Memorial (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zanesville.
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 20, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.