Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hampden Township in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Shopp Cemetery

 
 
Shopp Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 28, 2016
1. Shopp Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  In the 1780's United Brethren circuit riders began preaching at the home of John Shopp located one half mile north of this site. A Meeting House was erected in the present cemetery in 1827 on land donated by John Shopp. The congregation built a new church at 125 E. Main Street in Shiremanstown in 1855 using the stones of the Shopp Meeting House as the first floor of the new building. Although the congregation has moved and changed names over the years, Shopp Cemetery continues to be owned and maintained by Shiremanstown United Methodist Church who remains dedicated to a tradition of Christian ministry to the community and the world.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
 
Location. 40° 13.521′ N, 76° 56.564′ W. Marker is in Hampden Township, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on Simpson Ferry Road east of St. Johns Church Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3615 Simpson Ferry Rd, Camp Hill PA 17011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peace Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Samuel Albright House
Shopp Cemetery and Marker - Looking South Across Simpson Ferry Road image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 28, 2016
2. Shopp Cemetery and Marker - Looking South Across Simpson Ferry Road
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. one mile away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Peace Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Maurice K. Goddard (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cumberland Riflemen (approx. 1.4 miles away); White Hall School (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Skirmish of Oyster’s Point (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampden Township.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted to a large stone monument that faces Simpson Ferry Road, between the road and the cemetery, between Trinity High School and Troy Granite.
 
Shopp Cemetery - Gates with Marker in the Distance on the Left image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 28, 2016
3. Shopp Cemetery - Gates with Marker in the Distance on the Left
Shopp Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 28, 2016
4. Shopp Cemetery
Shopp Cemetery - Shopp Family Plots image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 28, 2016
5. Shopp Cemetery - Shopp Family Plots
The Shopp Cemetery is United Methodist Church Historic Site No. 221. image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 28, 2016
6. The Shopp Cemetery is United Methodist Church Historic Site No. 221.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 22, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 546 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 22, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=99048

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 27, 2022