Old Aqueduct Club Memorial
Carrying the Wabash and Erie Canal across the St. Marys River was located just north of the bridge about where the Nickle Plate Railroad crosses the river and was the playground and swimminghole for the West End Boys. Completed about 1843 Passed out of existence 1880
The Old Aqueduct Club
All male persons being 45 years of age or older having lived west of Calhoun Street 40 years and having swam in the old aqueduct constitutes its' membership. Once annually just before the New Year the club meets at a banquet and relive the stories of the old aqueduct days.
The Boys of the Aqueduct Club
(followed by hundreds of names on the marker
Erected 1927 by Committee on Memorial, The Old Aqueduct Club.
Topics and series. This historical marker memorial is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Wabash & Erie Canal series list.
Location. 41° 4.702′ N, 85°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carole Lombard (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Miamis (approx. ¼ mile away); The First French Fort / The First Playground in Fort Wayne (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Fort Wayne College (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Johnny Appleseed" (approx. 0.4 miles away); John B. Franke (approx. half a mile away); Wabash and Erie Canal Groundbreaking (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Allen County Courthouse (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Wayne.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 407 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 24, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.