Marksville in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Founding Of Marksville
He married Julie Carmouche, daughter of Joseph Carmouche and Madeline Ducote of Pointe Coupee' Parish on May 3, 1796. Eliche' obtained Spanish land grants totaling more than 400 arpents. The area became known as "Marc's Place", "Marc's Store", and finally "Marc's Ville", and was first officially noted on U.S. survey maps in 1809. Eliche' donated most of the present courthouse square.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Louisiana, Marksville Historical Markers Driving Tour series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1794.
Location. 31° 7.652′ N, 92° 3.948′ W. Marker is in Marksville, Louisiana, in Avoyelles ParishTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 312 N Main Street, Marksville LA 71351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Solomon Northup, "Twelve Years a Slave" (here, next to this marker); Laborde Building (a few steps from this marker); The First Bowie Knife (within shouting distance of this marker); Bailey Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisiana's Atchafalaya Basin (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort De Russy (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Horace Ducote Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Mayer Hotel Site (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marksville.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2016. This page has been viewed 705 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 24, 2016. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.