Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Decatur in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs

 
 
Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Felch Dumas, August 3, 2008
1. Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs Marker
Inscription.  

The Federal 23d A.C., Army of the Ohio, reached this vicinity via Old Shallow Ford Rd. (Clairmont) & N. Decatur Rd., evening of July 19, 1864. This was the N.E. sector of Sherman’s approach to Atlanta. Cox’s (3d) div. bivouacked E. of Pea Vine Cr. on the Paden plantation, now a part of Emory University campus. Gen. Cox’s headquarters were at Judge Paden’s house.

Hascall’s (2d) div. camped along Pea Vine Cr. S. of this point. McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. Occupied Decatur; Thomas’s Army of the Cumberland was N. of Atlanta, along Peachtree Cr., its rt. resting on the Chattahoochee River.
 
Erected 1993 by Georgia Historic Marker. (Marker Number 044-25.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 19, 1815.
 
Location. 33° 47.364′ N, 84° 19.268′ W. Marker is near Decatur, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is on Clifton Road NE, 0.1 miles north of North Decatur Road, on the left when traveling
Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Felch Dumas, August 3, 2008
2. Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30322, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trail to Standing Peachtree and Houston Chapel (approx. ¾ mile away); The Hardman Family Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Dr. Chapmon Powell’s “Medicine House” and W.J. Houston Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away); Historic Ground (approx. 0.9 miles away); 4th A.C. at Durand's Mill (approx. one mile away); Site: J. Oliver Powell House Sherman's H'dq'rs (approx. one mile away); Closing the Gap (approx. one mile away); Lophorhothon atopus (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,402 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9922

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 21, 2021