Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Druid Hills near Decatur in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Trail to Standing Peachtree and Houston Chapel

 
 
Trail to Standing Peachtree and Houston Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Felch Dumas, August 3, 2008
1. Trail to Standing Peachtree and Houston Chapel Marker
Inscription.  

This ancient trail led west to the Indian village of Standing Peachtree. It joined the Shallowford Trail near this spot linking it with trade routes to Stone Mountain. Later becoming a road it was among the first authorized when DeKalb County was formed out of Henry County following the 1821 Treaty of Indian Springs. On July 28, 1923 the newly formed Inferior Court of DeKalb County ordered that “new roads be cut out from Lot 246,” its chosen location for the county seat that would become the city of Decatur. The court appointed Naman Hardman (among others) to “view and designate the different routes…from Standing Peachtree to said lot.” Naman Hardman was an early settler in this part of DeKalb County who owned land between the two trails.

The road was first called the Peachtree road, but in 1837 James Montgomery established a ferry crossing on the Chattahoochee River at Standing Peachtree. Subsequently this road became know as “the Montgomery Ferry road and then later, the North Decatur and Atlanta road.”

In 1905 with her own funds, Mrs. Amanda Powell Houston, Naman Hardman’s niece had
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
erected beside this road a community chapel. Constructed of heart of pine lumber, it had an organ and seated sixty worshipers. Known as the Houston Chapel, it remained in service to the community until about 1917, at which time it was moved approximately 1,000 feet south of this marker and converted to a residence for Rev. Ernest Moore. Moore resided in the former chapel until his death in 1992.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1815.
 
Location. 33° 47.438′ N, 84° 18.486′ W. Marker is near Decatur, Georgia, in DeKalb County. It is in Druid Hills. Marker is on North Decatur Road, 0.2 miles west of Clairmont Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30322, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. Chapmon Powell’s “Medicine House” and W.J. Houston Plantation (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hardman Family Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site: J. Oliver Powell House Sherman's H'dq'rs (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs (approx. ¾ mile away); Steatite Boulder (approx. 1.2 miles away);
Trail to Standing Peachtree and Houston Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Felch Dumas, August 3, 2008
2. Trail to Standing Peachtree and Houston Chapel Marker
Houston Mill Millstone (approx. 1.2 miles away); DeKalb County (approx. 1.2 miles away); Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,524 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9923

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024