Lebanon in Marion County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The Commissary Building
When Gen. John Hunt Morgan attacked lebanon on July 5th, 1863 this store was robbed of its military supplies and set on fire. Mr. Beeler's house at the back of the building was burned to the ground. After the Civil War was over this building for a short time was used as a grocery store. This it was taken over by Mr. J.H. Kearns to become a liquor store until the 1930's. later, Willie A Deep bought the building and "Sunnyside Saloon" there. It remained a saloon until it closed it's doors for good in the 1980's.
Note the name "Sunnyside" on the photo to the right.
Gen. Morgan's brother Tom, was buried in the rose garden at a home in Lebanon named "Sunnyside," now the main residence of Hollyhill Motel.
Erected by The City of Lebanon.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 N Depot St, Lebanon KY 40033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Commissary Building (here, next to this marker); Battle at Lebanon (a few steps from this marker); The L&N Depot (a few steps from this marker); The Battle of Lebanon (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Kobert Place (approx. 0.2 miles away); Courthouse Burned (approx. 0.2 miles away); Knott of Lebanon (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for The Commissary Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.