Civil War Era Maconites of African Ancestry
Location of Ellen Smith Craft's Dwelling behind Home of Dr. Robert & Eliza Smith Collins
Macon gained world-wide notoriety with the escape of William (1824-1900) and Ellen Smith Craft (1826-1891) in 1848 a slave couple who eventually made their way to England to lobby for the abolition of slavery. Having a light complexion, Ellen successfully posed as a sickly male master traveling north accompanied by her servant (William).
Prior to the war, freedmen included Solomon Humphries (d. 1855), a cotton trader and merchant; Jeremiah Scarborough (d. 1883), a Central of Georgia Railroad foreman; and Rev. David Laney, carpenter and pastor of the “colored” Presbyterian Church, today known as Washington Avenue
After the war, Rep. Jefferson Franklin Long (1852-1926), former slave and master tailor, was the first American of African descent to be elected from Georgia to the U.S. Congress and the very first to speak from the floor.
Lucy Craft Laney (1854-1933), the daughter of Rev. Laney above, was a renowned educator and founder of the Haines Institute, a large school for children in Augusta, GA.
Rev. Henry McNeal Turner (1834-1915) was a freedman who traveled as a Methodist evangelist prior to the war. During the war, Turner volunteered and became the first American of African ancestry to be appointed a chaplain in the U.S. Army. After the war, he came to Macon to found AME churches and the Republican Party of Georgia. Turner was elected a state representative from Macon.
The children of area plantation owner Michael Healy and mulatto wife Mary Eliza were sent north to be educated before the
Erected 2013 by Macon Civil War Sesquicentennial Committee.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 32° 50.391′ N, 83° 37.897′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on Mulberry Street east of Spring Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 830 Mulberry St, Macon GA 31201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Professional Building (a few steps from this marker); The Stoneman Raid (a few steps from this marker); Fencing from Findlay Foundry (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge Asa Holt House (within shouting distance of this marker); M. W. Grand Lodge of Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); The March to the Sea (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mulberry Street Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); P.L. Hay House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2016, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,420 times since then and 726 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 9, 2016, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 2. submitted on July 30, 2020, by Kevin B Haywood of Macon, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.