Morgan's Great Raid
Six Days of Terror
July 9, 1863. The Battle of Corydon occurred as Morgan's men outflanked 450 men of the Indiana Legion (local Home Guards). It was written that the men, after entering Corydon, plundered to their "hearts' content."
July 10, 1863. The Raiders entered Salem where they looted the businesses and burned the railroad depot—no town in Indiana would suffer more. A Union cavalry force of 4,000, led by General Edward H. Hobson, was in pursuit. At Indianapolis, Governor Oliver P. Morton asked General Lew Wallace to command 13 regiments of "Minutemen." The Raiders passed through Vienna, advancing into Lexington, Indiana, at dusk.
July 11, 1863. At Vernon, the Raiders were turned back. This was the first and only time
July 12, 1863. The Raiders arrived in Versailles. Union General Hobson's cavalry was four hours behind. The Raiders left Versailles at 4 p.m. and headed east. The exhausted cavalrymen camped for the night in an area now known as St. Paul. Two miles to the north were 1,800 Union soldiers sleeping in railroad boxcars.
July 13, 1863. Morgan and the Raiders resumed their eastward course. Although tired from the rigorous travel and the lack of sleep, the Raiders continued to devastate the countryside. During the afternoon, Morgan's cavalrymen crossed the bridge into Harrison, Ohio. So ended the Indiana segment of Morgan's 1,000-mile Great Raid. (Marker Number 11.)
Erected by Historic Hoosier Hills RC&D. (Marker Number 11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail in Indiana series list.
Location. 38° 38.943′ N, 85° 46.178′ W. Marker is in Vienna, Indiana, in Scott County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 356 and High Street, on the left when traveling east on State Road 356. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scottsburg IN 47170, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.