Curry Blockhouse / Shawnee Village “Oldtown”
Built by Hiriam Curry for protection of the border settlers, following surrender of Gen. Hull in War of 1812. It stood on the north bank of Stony Creek, opposite the Indian village “Oldtown”.
Shawnee Village “Oldtown”
(1/4 mile north on Stony Creek) Here the Indian uprising of 1806, under Tecumseh, was averted by Simon Kenton’s arrival with his ultimatum, “if you want to fight, we are ready.”
Erected 1948 by Logan County Archaeological and Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812.
Location. 40° 17.885′ N, 83° 55.447′ W. Marker is near Quincy, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is at the intersection of DeGraff- Quincy Pike (County Route 63) and County Route 64, on the right when traveling west on DeGraff- Quincy Pike. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4201 C-63, Quincy OH 43343, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
More about this marker. Marker had been lost for many years, was recently found, restored, and re-erected,
about 300 feet northwest of the original location on Rd 64
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 424 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 12, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.