San Blas in Municipality of San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico — The Pacific Coast
Fray Junipero Serra
bajo la dirección del
Fraile Junípero Serra
abordaron el buque "La Purísima"
cerca de la Bahía Mantanchen
y embarcaron hacia Baja California
El 1 de julio del 1769
ellos llegaron a San Diego
marcando el principio
de la colonización de California
On March 12, 1768 missionaries
under the leadership of
Fray Junipero Serra
boarded the ship "La Purisima"
in nearby Mantanchen Bay
and set sail for Baja California
On July 1, 1769
they arrived in San Diego
marking the beginning of the settlement of California
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is March 12, 1768.
Location. 21° 32.515′ N, 105° 17.192′ W. Marker is in San Blas, Nayarit, in Municipality of San Blas. Marker is on Calle Sinaloa just east of Calle H. Batallón de San Blas, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Blas, Nayarit 63740, Mexico. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are José María Mercado (within shouting distance of this marker); Benito Pablo Juárez García (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); The San Blas Battalion (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); José María Mercado Burial Site (approx. 1.1 kilometers away).
Also see . . . San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico.
San Blas was founded in 1531, but the official date of founding is 1768, when Manuel Rivera and 116 families arrived on the orders of the Viceroy of New Spain, Marqués de Croix, under the supervision of José de Gálvez, who was visitador general ("inspector") of New Spain.
San Blas was the port from which the Spanish priest Junípero Serra, Father President of the California Missions, departed for California. He left on March 12, 1768 from the nearby Las Islitas beach on Matanchen Bay, in the locally built barque the Purísima Concepción.
A few months later, in May 1768, San Blas was designated as a new naval base for the Spanish Navy. At first, only two ships were assigned to the port: the packet boat San Carlos, commanded by Juan Pérez, and El Principe, commanded by Vicente Vila. Gálvez ordered four new vessels to be built, one of which was the schooner Sonora, which sailed in 1775 by Juan Francisco de la Bodega y Quadra to Alaska.
The San Carlos, under the command of Ayala, departed San Blas, Mexico, for San Francisco Bay, stopping in Monterey (Submitted on November 15, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 15, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.