Tuskegee in Macon County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Macon County Legal Milestone
Macon County was created by the Alabama Legislature on December 18, 1832 and formed out of land formerly belonging to the Creek Indians. The County was named for Nathaniel Macon, a Revolutionary War soldier and long-serving political leader from North Carolina. Macon County has a unique distinction in Alabama history. In the 1950's, due to civil rights-era hysteria, the legislature targeted the county to be abolished. In December, 1957, the citizens of Alabama, by a two to one majority, approved Amendment No. 132 to the Alabama Constitution which authorized the legislature to appoint a committee to study and determine the feasibility of abolishing Macon County or reducing its area by making it part of surrounding counties. This Amendment remained a part of the Alabama Constitution until the voters in 1982 repealed it with Amendment No. 406.
The current Macon County Courthouse was completed in 1906 at a cost of $42,000.00. It was designed by J. W. Golucke and Company of Atlanta and built
Several landmark cases are based on events occurring in Macon County. One of the most noted cases is C. G. Gomillion, et al v. Phil M. Lightfoot, As Mayor of the City of Tuskegee, et al, 364 U.S. 339 (1960), which prohibited the use of gerrymandering to disenfranchise Negro voters. This case was one of the first instances of civil rights litigation in the area of voting rights which subsequently expanded into the related issues of voter dilution, "one man, one vote", the reapportionment and redistricting of state legislatures and congressional districts. Also of significant impact was the lawsuit filed in 1972 to protect and assert the rights of persons involved in the infamous Tuskegee Syphilis Study conducted by the United States, Pollard, et al v. United States of America, et al.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Architecture • Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is November 17, 1978.
Location. 32° 25.486′ N, 85° 41.455′ W. Marker is in Tuskegee, Alabama, in Macon County. Marker is at the intersection of East Rosa Parks Avenue and Eastside Street, on the left when traveling east on East Rosa Parks Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Rosa Parks Avenue, Tuskegee AL 36083, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brief History of Tuskegee, Alabama (within shouting distance of this marker); Macon County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); 119 Westside Street (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Trade With Your Friends" (about 400 feet away); Samuel "Sammy" Leamon Younge, Jr. (about 500 feet away); William P. Mitchell (about 600 feet away); Tuskegee High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rosa Parks (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuskegee.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 314 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 16, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.