Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lexington Park in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Saint Nicholas Church

 
 
Saint Nicholas Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, January 5, 2013
1. Saint Nicholas Church Marker
Inscription.  
1637 Jesuit Mission of Father Andrew White was located a mile from here on Patuxent River, on land given by Mattapanient Indian Chief Macquacomen. The first St. Nicholas Church was built at this site in 1796 by Jesuit Father James Walton. Present building erected 1916, became Navy chapel when Patuxent Naval Air Station was established in 1942.
 
Erected by the Maryland Historical Trust and the Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraMilitarySettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1637.
 
Location. 38° 15.735′ N, 76° 26.641′ W. Marker is near Lexington Park, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) south of Great Mills Road (Maryland Route 246), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington Park MD 20653, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Architectural Significance of the First Lexington Park Community (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Mary’s County and U.S. Navy History
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¼ mile away); Navy Base Arrives (approx. ¼ mile away); Lexington Park (approx. ¼ mile away); The Great Depression and New Opportunities (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington Park.
 
Also see . . .  St. Nicholas Chapel. St. Nicholas Center website entry (Submitted on March 7, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Saint Nicholas Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
2. Saint Nicholas Church Marker
Saint Nicholas Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 31, 2007
3. Saint Nicholas Church Marker
St.Nicholas Church July 31, 1942. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, January 5, 2013
4. St.Nicholas Church July 31, 1942.
Stone Slab Construction and English design of the Naval Air Station Chapel are reminiscent of earlier times.When the Navy purchased the property, the former Catholic church was turned into an interdenominational house of worship. The present stone structure was built in the 1920's near the site of the original St.Nicholas Church constructed in 1795. Photo displayed in the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 5, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,418 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 7, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   2. submitted on May 5, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   3. submitted on May 5, 2007.   4. submitted on January 7, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the cemetery • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=999

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024