Gaithersburg in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
General Edward Braddock
Erected by the Maryland Historic Trust and the Maryland State Highway Administration.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Braddock’s Road and Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock marker series.
Location. 39° 8.304′ N, 77° 11.652′ W. Marker is in Gaithersburg, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of South Frederick Avenue (Maryland Route 355) and South Summit Avenue on South Frederick Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gaithersburg MD 20877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schwartz House / City Hall Built 1895 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wells-Robertson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station (approx. ¼ mile away); The Early Years (approx. ¼ mile away); Building The Future (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaithersburg.
More about this marker.
Benjamin Franklin brokered the rental of teams from Pennsylvania and Maryland farmers and guaranteed the payments.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Montgomery County and 1755: A war a Tavern and a Park. 2005 article in The Preservationist. “General Braddock left Alexandria, Virginia, on April 19th in a six-horse ‘chariot’ bought from Governor Sharpe of Maryland.” (Submitted on May 9, 2007.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Persons • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 9, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,414 times since then and 143 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 9, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.