Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Miguel de Allende in Municipality of Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

The Temple of the Most Pure Conception

San Miguel de Allende - El Corazón de México

 

—San Miguel de Allende - The Heart of Mexico —

 
The Temple of the Most Pure Conception Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
1. The Temple of the Most Pure Conception Marker
Inscription.
Templo de la Purísima Concepción
(“Templo de las Monjas”)

Es parte del proyecto constructivo iniciado a mediados del siglo XVII, a iniciativa de Sor María Josefa Lina de la Canal y Hervás (1736-1770), quien invirtió el caudal heredado de sus padres Manuel Tomás de la Canal y María de Hervás y Flores, para fundar un convento e iglesia dedicada a la Purísima Concepción de María. Para la fábrica de estos inmuebles, se recomendó al maestro en arquitectura Francisco Martínez Gudiño, vecino de la ciudad de Santiago de Querétaro; apoyado por el talento de tres originarios de la villa de San Miguel el Grande: Pedro Joaquín de Tapia y Salvador Antonio Hernández, ambos alarifes (maestros de obras), así como de alférez Francisco de Lara Villagómez, de notoria práctica en diversas obras arquitectónicas de la región. Los planes no se hicieron esperar, pues inmediatamente a la propuesta hecha en 1752 acerca del equipo que sería responsable de la fábrica, fueron trazadas las medidas del conjunto religioso sobre un antiguo y estratégico solar, en el cual habiendo delineado proporciones, distancias y gruesos de paredes, resultaba una iglesia de 61 varas de largo (52 m), 11 varas de ancho (9.21 m) y 16.5 varas de alto (14 m), correspondiendo a una proporción “sexquilátera.” Al cuerpo principal, se anexó el alto
Additional marker on the 500th anniversary of the Order of the Immaculate Conception image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
2. Additional marker on the 500th anniversary of the Order of the Immaculate Conception
This additional marker is to the right of the entrance to the temple. It reads:
“Magnificat ánima Dóminum”
1511-2011
5º Centenario
de la aprobación de la regla de la Orden de la Inmaculada Concepción
17 de Septiembre
Lic. Luz María Núñez Flores, Presidente Municipal, el Honorable Ayuntamiento del Bicentenario 2009-2012 y el puebo sanmiguelense felicitan a las hermanas concepcionistas de esta ciudad.
y bajo coro de 16 varas de largo (13.5 m), dos pasadizos generales, escalera, sacristía interior y exterior, y por encima de éstas últimas, un “niñado.”

Los trabajos iniciaron hacia el año de 1755. Una década después se inauguró el convento, aunque con grandes ausencias estructurales en el templo: torre, campanario, presbiterio, altares y cúpula, mismos que se concluyeron entre las décadas de 1840 y 1890.

La enorme cúpula que ostenta el templo de la Concepción es resultado de las aspiraciones artísticas de Zeferino Gutiérrez, el gran constructor sanmiguelense del siglo XIX, adaptando en el edificio la monumentalidad y solidez de la iglesia de los Inválidos de París.

El interior es impresionante por sus magnitudes y la sobriedad que impone el estilo neoclásico del altar mayor. Sobresalen en el complejo, las fuertes rejas del alto y bajo coro, donde se resguarda un retablo de talla dorada que fue obsequiado por uno de los benefactores del siglo XVIII, el conde de Casa de Loja.

Posee una valiosa colección pictórica, producto del pincel de importantes escuelas y pintores novohispanos entre ellos Miguel Cabrera, Juan Rodríguez Juárez, Jesús Gómez y Miguel Antonio Martínez de Pocasange.

Fuentes:
Archivo General de las Indias, Sevilla; México, 1061.
Archivo General de la Nación, Reales Cédulas Originales, Vol. 74, Exp. 65.
Archivo
An additional marker to Josefa de la Canal, founder of the convent image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, June 11, 2017
3. An additional marker to Josefa de la Canal, founder of the convent
This additional marker is to the left of the church's entryway. It reads:

La Azucena de San Miguel
1736 – 1986
A la Pbr. M. Sor Maria Josefa Lina de la Canal
Fundadora de este convento
en los 250 años de su
nacimiento. Las RR. MM. Concepcionistas y el pueblo de San Miguel.

English translation:
The Lily of San Miguel
1736 – 1986
To Maria Josefa Lina de la Canal
Founder of this convent, on the 250th anniversary of her birth. From the Concepcionists and the people of San Miguel.
Manuel Castañeda, Casa de Morelos, Diocesano, Gobierno Visitas, Informes, Siglo XVIII, San Miguel el Grande, Año de 1766, 0215, Caja 503, Exp. 64.

English translation:
Temple of the Most Pure Conception
("Temple of the Nuns")

This temple is part of the construction project begun in the mid-17th century, on the initiative of Sister María Josefa Lina de la Canal and Hervás (1736- 1770), who invested the inheritance from her parents Manuel Tomás de la Canal and María de Hervás y Flores, to found a convent and church dedicated to the Purísima Concepción de María (The Most Pure Conception of Mary). For the construction of these properties, Francisco Martínez Gudiño, a master of architecture in the city of Santiago de Querétaro was recommended; He was supported by the talent of three workers from the town of San Miguel el Grande: Pedro Joaquin de Tapia and Salvador Antonio Hernandez, both alarifes (masters of works), as well as that of Lieutenant Francisco de Lara Villagómez, well known for diverse architectonic works in the region. Soon after the original proposal was made in 1752 and the construction team assigned to the project, the measures of the temple were traced here on an old and strategically placed lot. After laying out the proportions, distances and the thicknesses of walls, it was to be a church of 61 varas long (52 m), 11 varas wide (9.21
The Temple of the Most Pure Conception Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
4. The Temple of the Most Pure Conception Marker
The marker is to the left of the entrance to the Temple. To the right of the entrance is an additional marker celebrating the 500th anniversary of the Order of Immaculate Conception. Note the dome of the temple, mentioned in the marker text.
m) and 16.5 varas high (14 m), corresponding to a ratio known as "sexquilátera." To the main body was added both a high and lower chorus of 16 varas long (13.5 m), two general passages, a staircase, both an interior and exterior sacristy, and above these, a "niñado" or nursey. The work began around the year 1755. A decade later the convent was inaugurated, although with great structural absences in the temple: tower, steeple, presbytery, altars and dome, however these were eventually completed between the decades of 1840 and 1890.

The enormous dome of the Temple of the Conception is the result of the artistic aspirations of Zeferino Gutiérrez, the great constructor of the 19th century, adapting to this building the monumentality and solidity of the Church of the Invalides of Paris.

The interior is impressive in its size and the sobriety imposed by the Neoclassical style of the high altar. The strong metal bars of the upper and lower choir stand out, where a golden altarpiece is guarded which was given by one of the 18th century benefactors, the Count of la Casa de Loja.

It has a valuable pictorial collection, the product of important schools and painters of New Spain, among them Miguel Cabrera, Juan Rodríguez Juárez, Jesus Gómez and Miguel Antonio Martínez de Pocasange.

Sources:
Archivo General de las Indias, Sevilla; México, 1061.
Archivo
The Neoclassical style altar of the Temple of the Most Pure Conception image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
5. The Neoclassical style altar of the Temple of the Most Pure Conception
General de la Nación, Reales Cédulas Originales, Vol. 74, Exp. 65.
Archivo Manuel Castañeda, Casa de Morelos, Diocesano, Gobierno Visitas, Informes, Siglo XVIII, San Miguel el Grande, Año de 1766, 0215, Caja 503, Exp. 64.
 
Location. 20° 54.873′ N, 100° 44.745′ W. Marker is in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Allende. Marker is on Calle de Canal just north of Calle Zacateros, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is to the left of the entrance to the Temple of the Most Pure Conception (El Templo de la Purísima Concepción).
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Remains of the Insurgents (within shouting distance of this marker); Carmen Masip Echazarreta (within shouting distance of this marker); The Heroes' Bridge (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Francisco I. Madero Fountain (about 120 meters away); House of Juan Umarán (about 120 meters away); Armory of the Insurgents (about 150 meters away); Narciso María Loreto de la Canal (about 150 meters away); María del Refugio Aguilar y Torres (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Miguel de Allende.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made Features
 
Examples of the colonial-era artwork at The Temple of the Most Pure Conception image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
6. Examples of the colonial-era artwork at The Temple of the Most Pure Conception
Written sayings at the entrance to The Temple of the Most Pure Conception image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
7. Written sayings at the entrance to The Temple of the Most Pure Conception
The church is famous for a series of painted signs that represent sayings, mostly related to morality. One seen here near the entryway says "Jusgar un hecho ageno, mete la mano en tu seno" ("Think of what God has done for you before judging others.")
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   3. submitted on July 13, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 29, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement