Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Quetzaltenango in Municipality of Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
 

Cathedral of the Holy Spirit

 
 
Cathedral of the Holy Spirit Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 30, 2016
1. Cathedral of the Holy Spirit Marker
Inscription.
Iglesia del Espíritu Santo (Catedral)
El templo original del Espíritu Santo, hoy Catedral, fue el segundo construido en el país (en 1532) Ordenada por el Obispo Francisco Marroquín. La fachada colonial estilo barroco que queda hoy, no es del templo original. El templo de esta fachada se construyó a finales del siglo XVII. De esa época es el convento de los frailes franciscanos que se encontraba a su lado.

El convento y templo fueron demolidos entre finales del siglo XIX y principios del XX, quedando en pie solamente la capilla de la Viren del Rosario, la fachada y un campanario. En marzo de 1905 el cura párroco de la iglesia, pide que se suspenda la demolición del campanario, porque si se lleva a efecto “…será difícil encontrar un lugar adecuado para colocar las campanas.” El edificio de la actual catedral, estilo neoclásico, se construyó en el siglo XX. Fue diseñada por el Arq. Alberto Porta.

Pie de dibujos:
Fotografía de mediados del siglo XIX. Al fondo la iglesia del Espíritu Santo, al frente el Portal de las Carnicerías y la Torre del Relox.

En esta fotografía de los años 30, se puede observar que aún existía la fachada del convento franciscano (a la derecha de la iglesia) La nueva catedral estaba en construcción.

English:
Cathedral of
Cathedral of the Holy Spirit Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 30, 2016
2. Cathedral of the Holy Spirit Marker
The marker can be seen in this view above the roof of the black vehicle.
the Holy Spirit
The original Espíritu Santo church, now a cathedral, was the second church built in Guatemala (1532) by order of Monsignor Francisco Marroquín. The baroque-style colonial façade that remains today, built at the end of the seventeenth century, was not part of the original structure. The Franciscan convent that was located adjacent to this building was from the same period.

The convent and church were demolished sometime between the end of the nineteenth century and beginning of the twentieth century. Only the church façade, bell tower, and Virgen del Rosario chapel were left standing. In March 1905, the parish priest intervened to halt the demolition of the bell tower, saying that “…it would be difficult to find an appropriate location for the bells.” The neoclassical structure of the present-day cathedral, designed by the architect Alberto Porta, was built in the 1900s.

Captions:
Espíritu Santo church in the background, and the Portal de las Carnicerías and Torre del Relox in the foreground, mid-1800s.

In this photograph, the façade of the Franciscan convent was still standing (to the right of the church), and the present-day cathedral was under construction 1930s.
 
Erected by Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo, Cooperación Española y otras organizaciones.
 
Location.
Cathedral of the Holy Spirit image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 30, 2016
3. Cathedral of the Holy Spirit
14° 50.019′ N, 91° 31.094′ W. Marker is in Quetzaltenango, Quetzaltenango, in Municipality of Quetzaltenango. Marker is on 11a Avenida just north of 7a Calle, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Quetzaltenango 09001, Guatemala.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 23 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Juan José Ortega (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); The German School of Guatemala (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); 1962 Student Protests in Quetzaltenango (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Jesús Castillo (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Osmundo Arriola (approx. half a kilometer away); Rosario de Paz Chajchalac de Mendizabal (approx. half a kilometer away); Manuel Tzoc, Founder of Nahualá (approx. 21.6 kilometers away in Sololá).
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 156 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 12, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement