Shawnee Indian Reservation / U.S. Military Reserve
Shawnee Indian Reservation
1817-1831 Established by treaty with the Shawnee Indians September 29, 1817, following the War of 1812. This 25 square mile reservation which adjoined the United States military reserve, was occupied by the Shawnees until their removal to Kansas in 1831.
U.S. Military Reserve
900 feet west. Established August 5th, 1795, by General "Mad" Anthony Wayne in the treaty of Greenville at the conclusion of the Indian wars (1790-1795). Fort Amanda was built in the center of this 6-mile square reserve during the War of 1812.
Erected 1954 by Wm. Paul Gallagher Post No. 96 American Legion Lima, Ohio.
Location. 40° 43.092′ N, 84° 12.425′ W. Marker is in Lima, Ohio, in Allen County. Marker is on Ohio Route 117, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. 1/4 mile west of Route 501 on Route 117 heading west. Marker was removed during intersection rebuilding and recently replaced, using a wood post instead of the usual steel pipe. Marker is in this post office area: Lima OH 45805, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Johnny Appleseed Tree (approx. 2.8 miles away); In Memory of Chief P-H-T and the Hawg Creek Shawnee
Categories. • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 19, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.